In today’s world, electricity makes everyday life much easier. We use it at every step, often without even realizing it. The issue of our dependence on electricity becomes visible especially when we lack it. Then we realize how much his presence influences our lives. In this entry, we discuss ways to save electricity and the reasons why it is worth doing so.
How to reduce electricity bills?
Electricity bills are currently the main expense that strains our home budgets. On average, every second person complains about high energy bills. Do you know why they are so high?
The main reasons for the increase in electricity prices include:
- increase in coal prices, which is the basis of the Polish energy industry,
- greater energy demand resulting from the pandemic,
- energy crisis caused by the war in Ukraine,
- costs of CO2 emission allowances.
The basic way to reduce electricity bills is to save energy. Moreover, saving energy is one of the first steps to start living more ecologically.
How to approach this? We need to start by changing our habits. Later in the article, we will discuss ways that will make it easier to save energy and thus reduce your bills.
Why is it worth saving energy?
Energy saving is a process of reducing the amount of electricity consumed. This is one of the ways to fight climate change, which is increasingly threatening the entire world.
You may have guessed that saving energy is important for many reasons. Among them we can mention, for example:
- environmental protection – energy production from coal, oil and natural gas contributes to greenhouse gas emissions, which have a huge impact on climate change. Saving energy leads to less consumption of fossil fuels, which means it reduces greenhouse gas emissions, environmental pollution and the amount of exhaust gases,
- saving money – resulting from lower electricity and gas bills,
- improving the quality of life – helps reduce pollutant emissions, thus affecting air quality, reducing the number of respiratory and skin diseases,
- energy security – countries that save energy are less dependent on energy imports from abroad.
How to save electricity – the best ways
There are many ways to save energy. Below we will present and discuss those that have the greatest impact on energy costs.
Unplug devices you are not using
Did you know that some electronic devices also use energy when you are not using them? The only sure solution is to unplug it. By disconnecting them from the grid, you can save not only energy, but also money. Which also means lower energy bills. It is good practice to turn off devices at night and when you are away from home.
Make sure the building is insulated
Thermal insulation helps reduce energy consumption for heating and cooling. Pay attention to all windows, doors, floors and roof to properly protect them. If you insulate your house properly, you can avoid up to 50% of uncontrolled heat loss. I think you can see for yourself that it will be very profitable.
Thermostats allow you to maintain the temperature in rooms at a specific level, which will help you avoid overheating your apartment. Additionally, you will not have to heat the entire house, only the rooms where you stay. Additionally, lowering the temperature can result in savings on energy bills.
Buy energy-saving appliances
Read the energy efficiency label carefully before purchasing. Thanks to this, you will choose the device you need. Start with the fridge because that’s what’s plugged in all the time. Look for those marked A+++, this is the class of devices that consume the least energy.
Turn off the lights when you leave the room
In fact, this is the simplest solution that we so often forget about. Leaving a light on in a room you don’t use is simply wasting electricity. In some cases, it is a good idea to install motion sensors, e.g. on stairs or outdoors.
Take advantage of natural light
Don’t turn on the lights if you don’t have to. Try to take advantage of daylight, especially in summer when the days are longer. When buying an apartment, make sure that it receives as much light from outside as possible. Place your desk near a window to maximize daylight.
Avoid putting your devices on standby
This way you will extend the life of your devices. How will you know when this mode is active? Usually after a lit diode that informs that the device is ready for quick startup. This diode means that it is drawing current all the time. Most often, this applies to a TV, monitor or decoder.
Replace regular light bulbs with LED bulbs
LED bulbs have many advantages. They are not only more durable, but also consume several times less electricity than regular ones. Look for high-quality products that are bright enough and guarantee low power consumption. Such bulbs are also ecological because no mercury is used in their production. Moreover, it is easy to notice when they burn out – they lose their brightness over time.
Cook food covered
What does it matter? First of all, it takes less time and at the same time reduces energy consumption. Using lids prevents heat from escaping and also prevents the contents from splashing. It doesn’t matter whether you use an induction hob or a regular stove – it works similarly in both cases.
Only use the washing machine and dishwasher when they are full
A great solution that is worth implementing to also save on water. Regardless of how loaded, both devices consume the same amount of electricity, so packing them fully is more ecological. Additionally, thanks to this option, you will reduce the number of times you use these devices per week, which is certainly important to you.
Install solar panels
Solar panels are one of the friendliest sources of energy. In the long run, it will save you a lot of money on your electricity bills. However, you must take into account that it is an expensive investment. Especially if you cannot count on partial funding.
Consider changing the way you heat your home
It is worth considering alternative energy sources, e.g. a heat pump, which is characterized by high energy efficiency. This solution allows you to save on space heating and water heating. In addition, it is also the most environmentally friendly because it obtains heat from water, ground or air.
Consider changing your energy supplier
Due to increases in energy prices, more and more people decide to change their energy supplier. However, before you do this, carefully review the offers of other suppliers so that it does not turn out that it did not work out for you. Most people only pay attention to the costs they will have to incur. Remember that other issues also matter – for example the quality of services or contract terms. It is worth changing the supplier when the financial conditions are more favorable and the quality of services is high enough.
How to reduce electricity consumption?
When discussing ways to save electricity, we must mention the last one. We mean devices that were created to reduce electricity consumption in our homes. These include:
- devices that monitor electricity consumption – allow you to control electricity wastage. Their operation is based on tracking the electricity consumption of individual devices in the house. They enable you to identify the source of high energy consumption, so you can take steps to reduce the cost of your electricity bills,
- time switches – designed in such a way that you can control the time when the light should be on. They can be useful in situations when no one is at home for a long time, giving the impression of someone’s presence,
- solar chargers – small devices that work like power banks. They obtain energy from sunlight, which we can then use to charge various devices,
- smart sockets – they are installed in a regular socket and connected to our smartphone. They enable constant monitoring of energy consumed from a specific source. More and more of them have a remote control function, which makes life much easier. For example, you can unplug the device when you are away from home,
- motion sensors – they turn on and off when someone is in a given room because they react to movement. Thanks to this, they stop burning when they do not register anyone’s presence.
Saving energy can help prevent environmental disasters by reducing greenhouse gas emissions associated with energy production and consumption. It also reduces the risk of serious effects on the environment and human health, which contributes to improving the quality of life.
It is worth remembering that the behavior of each of us affects the environment. That’s why even the smallest changes we can make to our habits are so important.
Check out our other posts related to saving: